During this challenging time, we understand that many people are confused, stressed, and unsure of what happens next, so we want to share what impact the Coronavirus pandemic is having on the legal system in British Columbia and on our firm specifically. Here is what you can expect from the courts and from us here at Hoogbruin and Company during these challenging times.
Impact of the Coronavirus on the Legal System in British Columbia
- The courts in British Columbia have taken preventative measures in response to the Coronavirus.
- The BC Supreme Court has suspended all regular operations until further notice. Accommodations may be made for urgent matters.
- The BC Provincial Court has suspended operations in some locations. To see which Provincial Courts are closed you can click here. Provincial Courts that remain open will only be hearing matters that are urgent.
- This means that most trials, including personal injury trials, will not be going ahead until further notice.
- Lawyers are also taking preventative measures by adjourning examinations for discoveries and mediations in order to reduce social contact.
- We will provide further updates once the courts release more information. You can also keep up to date by following the ongoing announcements from the Courts of British Columbia.
What Steps are We Taking at Hoogbruin and Company to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus?
Our clients’ health and well being is, and always will be, our number one priority. In accord with the provincial and federal government’s directives on social distancing, we have implemented a satellite office, meaning that all of us at Hoogbruin and Company are now working from home.
We are also recommending and taking steps to adjourn examinations for discovery that are set before the end of May. We want to reassure our clients that we are still working on their cases and available to communicate through telephone or email whenever the need arises.
We are still offering free case evaluations over the telephone, which you can book here.
If you exhibit any symptoms of Coronavirus, please stay home and contact your healthcare provider or dial 8-1-1.
At this time, we are wishing you and your loved ones all the best navigating through these challenging times. If you have any questions or concerns about the firm’s operation during this period, please feel free to contact us.